Sunday, March 13, 2016

Replacing the Tub Drain

Removing an old tub drain can be a daunting task.
My drain came new with the house in 1998.
After about 9 years and a lot of hard water
 the little cross bars inside the drain
 
that supported the toe touch stopper,
disintegrated! 
Leaving us with just a hole.
To solve the problem easily,
 I bought a rubber stopper.
That worked fairly well for years, except
when it would slightly tilt while the water
was running letting the water empty out.
Also the dry rot and cracks were
 starting to be a problem.

I had to face facts, it was time to stop 
lollygagging and replace the drain
with a new one once and for all.
After a few searches on the internet
I found several how-to sights.
Some a little over complicated
like sawing notches into the metal 
in order to unscrew it....
to very simple, like using a claw hammer
to grab and twist the drain...
(My claw hammer wasn't shaped right.)
Another suggestion was to buy an expensive 
drain key to twist the drain out.
I headed off to Home Depot to check out
my options and came across this...
A drain removal tool!
Only three steps to a removed drain!
I figured it couldn't hurt.
Step one, lightly hammer 
that sucker into the hole.
Done!
Step two suggests using a ratchet and a 
really large extension to twist the drain loose...
I used my monkey wrench.
Applying steady pressure, I started to twist.
It was tough going there for a minute, 
and it nearly felt like I was going to break the 
pipe under the tub.  
Then suddenly it was loose and started to move!
I breathed a sigh of relief.
Step three, remove!
That was easy!
I cleaned up the hole and wiped away 
the hard old plumber's putty.
It wasn't easy removing the tool from the 
old drain, but a few whacks on the other side 
with the hammer popped it 
right out.
Now it was time to install the new drain.
I chose the "twist and close" design
due to the stress the toe touch one 
put on the old cross bars, plus the toe touch
mechanism doesn't seem to hold up well. 
This one just twists sightly and drops
down to plug the drain, then just lift and
twist to lock it into the open position.
Not a bit of stress on the cross bars.
A bit of plumber's tape or 
"Thread Seal Tape"
 around the threads to keep it watertight.
Plus another drain removal tool
that uses the cross bars
to tighten down the new drain.
I used my monkey wrench again.
JUST DON'T OVER TIGHTEN!
Then I twisted on the new plug support
and lowered the plug.
Ran some water and let it sit.
No water leakage...
A complete success!
And it looks all new and shiny too!
I wonder how long this one will 
last with our hard water?
Only time will tell...
Thanks for stopping by
and happy fixing!

No comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...