Thursday, July 30, 2026

Come to the Island

Come to the island!
Which island, you ask? 
I don't know–just pick one.
Just make sure it's tropical.
The other day I added this charming tropical 
couple to the Ozark collection: 
eBay pic
Island Dancers, made by W. Goebel, the company best
known for its Hummel Figurines.
The pair was introduced in 1968 – "Created For The Island"
eBay pic
It even says so on the bottom of each figure.
eBay image
I tried to pin down exactly which island 
Goebel had in mind, but, couldn't find any 
definitive information.  My best guess? They 
weren't intended to represent one specific 
island at all.  
Beginning in the 1940s, Americans became 
fascinated with tropical destinations like 
Hawaii and the Caribbean. In response,
European and American designers created 
 figurines, artwork, and exotic home décor 
that blended influences from Polynesia, Hawaii, 
Jamaica, Cuba, Puerto Rico, and other island 
cultures into one romanticized vision of paradise. 
Goebel's Island Dancers fit that mold perfectly.
They're a cheerful tropical couple whose
clothing, guitar, conga drum, tropical plant and 
overall styling feel much more West Indian
than Hawaiian or Polynesian.
Ironically, I found them completely by 
accident.
I was actually searching for a entirely
 different figurine.
A while back, I bought two framed 
vintage reproduction travel posters
of the Caribbean:
"Fly to the Caribbean by Clipper"
by Pan American World Airways
and "Caribbean" by British West Indian 
Airways–The airline of the Caribbean.
I was especially intrigued by the girl 
doing the limbo on the B.W.I.A. poster.
As it turns out, she was BWIA's 
advertising mascot.
Her name was Vicki Viscount,
eBay image
and she appeared in 
magazine advertisements,
matchbooks,
travel brochures,
and other promotional items.
Eventually I stumbled across a photo of an
adorable promotional Vicki Viscount figurine. 

Naturally, I thought "How hard could it be to 
find one?"
Not easy, as it turns out.
A Google image search came up nearly empty.  
I found only a single photograph and 
no examples for sale.
However, Google suggested a few similar-looking
figurines– and that's when I discovered

my Caribbean couple. 
The price was $49, plus tax and shipping, 
bringing the total to $65.60. 
I have to admit, a couple of the other 
figures that appeared were tempting as 
well. One represented a Trinidad and Tobago 
couple, while another had no specific island 
identified. 
Unfortunately, both were just a little beyond my budget.

To display my Tropical finds,
 I picked up a wall shelf from Hobby Lobby.
It has a fun Caribbean feel–or at least
that's what I tell myself–
and quickly filled it with my growing collection 
of island treasures.
They may not be Vicki Viscount,
but they capture exactly the carefree
Caribbean atmosphere I was hoping to find.
Still... I might keep looking for Vicki.

Thanks for stopping by,
and happy hunting!

No comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...