Saturday, March 10, 2018

Baaaah, It's Easter time!

It's almost Easter again and 
I've been busy decking out the house
for the season!
Do you notice anything new
on the dry goods pantry? 
 Let's go in for a closer look.
 Presenting the new, but very old, 
lamb head cookie jar! 
 So whimsical and fun,
 I think he's just adorable!
 I won him on Ebay!
I've been wanting to add a lamb to the 
Ozark Easter collection for some time, 
I just couldn't find a design that appealed to me.
That is, until I spotted this cookie jar!
 With his pastel colors, a super sweet face,
 a smart bow tie, and that little straw hat, 
I just knew he'd fit right in.
This was one of the few listed that included 
his lamb crier noise box still in place, 
tucked inside his hat.  
Unfortunately time has taken its toll
and dry rot has claimed the inner bladder
so it doesn't make any noise.

I found very little info about this jar online.
However, I do know it was created by 
Metlox Pottery under their "PoppyTrail" line.
Maybe sometime in the 60's or 70's. 
 My jar's label is still attached to the 
shirt collar, the embossing is there 
but the black ink has faded away.
 Here's a pic of a pristine "PoppyTrial" label.
Metlox Pottery got its start in 1927
in Manhattan Beach, California 
Next to the Santa Fe Railroad track
for easy shipping.
The name Metlox is a combination of 
Metal and Oxide, which refers 
to the pigments used in their glazes.
They started producing brightly 
colored dinnerware in 1932.
Introduced in 1934, "PoppyTrail,"
 named after Evelyn White's
book on California wildflowers,
"California Poppy Trails,"
became one of the company's most
popular and enduring product lines,
its pieces still sought by collectors.

In 1946 Metlox hired Bob Allen 
and Mel Shaw as art directors.
Both Allen and Shaw worked as 
animators for Harman-Ising Productions,
and Shaw had also worked for
Walt Disney Studios.
Mel Shaw
The two had formed a design partnership
that included toy design, architecture,
and ceramic design.
Under the leadership of this artistic duo,
Metlox began to introduce some
wonderfully creative shapes, and uninhibited
and imaginative patterns in the 50's and 60's
I must admit, I can definitely see a 
cartoonist's influence in the
design of this little lamb cookie jar.
He already looks right at home 
with the other whimsical Easter treasures.
Thanks for stopping by
and happy hunting!

2 comments :

Rags To Rich's said...

Hi Adam you find the most amazing things! Are you on Instagram?
Best wishes,
Richard

Adam Hazlett said...

Hi Richard,
Thanks for the swell compliment!
No, I'm not on Instagram, I just never signed up.
You have a great Easter Holiday!
Adam

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...