Thursday, October 26, 2023

Quoth the Raven, "Always More"

Once upon a midday dreary,
While I pondered weak and weary, 
Over a many quaint and curious item
in this Kirkland's department store.

While I nodded, merely browsing
suddenly there came a tapping
as of some one gently rapping,
rapping on the stockroom door-
Tis some clerk, I muttered, tapping
on the stockroom door-
Only this and nothing more.
Ah, distinctly I remember, it was in the heat of August;
and each separate clerk brought out 
a ghost upon the floor.
Eagerly I wished the morrow, till
I spied a rare and radiant form, a sales lady 
whom the angels named Lenore.
Carrying out a stately raven of the saintly days of yore.
This thrilled me - filled me with fantastic terrors
never felt before: 
So that now, to still the beating of my heart, 
I stood repeating, "I must buy this 
and nothing more"
Presently my soul grew stronger; 
hesitating then no longer,
"Sir" said I "or Madam truly your forgiveness
 I implore;
But the fact is I would like to purchase that raven 
from this store for $39.99 and nothing more"
I said to sales clerk Lenore.
October now is lurking,
Back into my chamber turning, 
all my soul within me burning
open here I flung the garage door, 
when, with many 
a flirt and flutter, in there lay a 
stately raven of the saintly days of yore. 
Not the least obeisance made he, not
a minute stopped or stayed he; 
But, with mien of lord or lady, perched
above my curio cabinet...door.  
Perched upon a bowl
of Witch Alice just above the curio's door.
Perched, and sat, and nothing more.
Then this ebony bird beguiling my sad fancy into smiling
by the grave and stern decorum of the countenance it wore.
"Though thy crest be shorn and shaven, Thou," I said
"art sure no craven,
Ghastly grim and ancient raven wandering from the
Kirkland's store-
Tell what thy lordly name is on the 
Night's Plutonian shore!"
Quoth the Raven, "Always More"
Well, that was fun, but...I'm done.
I had a coupon when I bought my Raven
I fell in love with the detail, it sort of looks
art deco in a way, with the squared off feathers.
Strangely, Kirkland's calls it a Perched Crow.
NOW it's on sale for $19.99
So hurry and grab your crow today, 
before your chance flies away!
Okay, Now I'm Done.
Thanks for stopping by
and Happy Haunting!

No comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...